97 Camry brakes last a long time!

I had new front rotors and pads installed on my 97 at 131,000 miles (toyota parts). Just had the rotors surfaced slightly and new pads installed at 215,000 miles, thats

84,000 miles! Rear drums have been recently inspected, cleaned and adjusted. They are original with 215,000 miles on them. Early disc pads had large chunks of metal in them that would make a heck of a racket until they redesigned them, now they are great.
Reply to
Rob

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ on our '97, the front discs were replaced (and rotors turned) at about

95,000 miles, and the rear drums were simply adjusted. Does your car put on a large number of highway miles, or is it city and highway mixed as usual for most cars? Of course, in highway driving, you may not apply the brakes for many miles at a time, with no resulting wear on the pads, whereas city driving, you may stop at a stop sign every block! Have your rear shoes ever been replaced?
Reply to
mack

Mostly highway driving.

Of course, in highway driving, you may not apply the

Brake shoes are original.

Reply to
Rob

============================================ The "chunks of metal" pads were "metallic" or semi-metallic. The newer pads are ceramic. The ceramic content is highly heat resistant, wears a long time, is quiet, and relatively low brake dust.

Reply to
Daniel