97 Camry I4 Timing Belt - and Water Pump?

78K miles. Heard that water pumps are often replaced at the same time as the timing belt because the work to get the belt out exposes the pump for easier replacement. My question is: even so, is it really necessary to replace the pump? Do they fail frequently enough to justify the extra expense (Dealer quotes $260 for the belt, or $400 for both)? Thanks. Ric
Reply to
Ric Erickson

You might find this thread informative.

or

badgolferman

Yes, it's standard operating procedure to replace both. My water pump siezed on my 96 camry at about 110k and took out the timing belt with it, the belt just snapped. My mechanic charged 350.00 for the pump and belt, your dealer is charging a great price since it's all toyota and under their warranty, I say do it cause you won't get that price again. Some advise is to ask to replace all of the belts, should be relatively cheap, and worth it since they do crack and break. I speak from my own experience with my 96 camry.

Reply to
steve-o