97 camry light problems

Hi I have a 97 camry / 4cyl / round 190 000 km. When i drive the car ..i notice the dashboard lights getting dim along with all the control lights of the ac/ radio. When the car runs at slow speeds or stops at the lights or parked..the lights keep getting dim and the check engine/ abs/battery lights come on the dashboard....the radio also turns off now and then and comes back on .....but as i go above 50/60 km/hr...or accelerate..the lights get brighter and the check engine/abd/battery lights goes away and its back to normal I feel there is a prob with the battery...or maybe im wrong...could anyone plz help or kinda give suggestions thanx for helping Mic

Reply to
sharoon

When did you last change the battery? If you haven't done it in the past 3-4 years it's probably time for a new one. They're not hard to change at all. If the problem persists after you do that:

If you have a multimeter, try measuring the voltage across the battery terminals at idle. If less than 13.5 or so, disconnect the battery and measure the voltage across the disconnected wires. If greater than

13.5, the problem is the battery; replace it.

If less than 13.5, try replacing the alternator brushes. I've never done it so I can't offer any advice except that the brushes are designed to be replaced so it can't be that hard.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Hey thnx very much for ur help...ill try it today...theres one more thing ... yesterday the engine wudnt start and had to wait for a while and tried again and then it worked...so if this wud indicate the problem precisely? ....for now ill try doing what u said..thnx man ...i appreciate it

Reply to
sharoon

I does sound like an elderly battery ready to be replaced, but to make sure, why not take it to a chain auto parts store...lots of them will test it free. If the battery seems okay but needing a charge, look into the alternator and the drive belt for it, to see if it's too sloppy to drive it properly an thus charge the battery sufficiently.

Reply to
mack