97 Camry main seal like - other fixables?

Hello, I have a 97 camry with 112K miles on it. Ive had oil marks on driveway and after showing to the Toyota dealer he tells me the main seal between engine and transmission is leaking and needs replacement - a $720 job fixing it.

Is this problem something which can do big damage if not taken care of?

Also, I am close to my 120K servicing and was wondering if there was any other repairs I could make (timing belts, other seals, bearings, etc.) when this is done. I would like to save on the costs and fix other parts which might need replacement in the future when this job is done. I would like to go to the dealer and show him a list of things to repair when this job is done.

Any toyota experts out there please advice - it will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Srimanth

If the car is automatic transmission, the leaking rearmain seal is only nuisance value, provided its not 1/2 cup per night on the ground,..a few drips, just check the engine oil level regularly. If its manual trans, its possible the oil can foul the clutch-plate,..look for "clutch-shudder" in this case.

To spend $700 odd dollars, the leak would have to be a real problem before I'd have it done. Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The following parts are usually replaced once you take that area apart, just to save time. But some people do skip the water pump every other time and replace the valve cover gasket set (including spark plug tube seals) if needed. Those of us who do our own work would likely just replace them while in there.

If you only have a few drops of oil on the rear seal then it's probably not worth all the money. You can try things like high mileage oil with oil seal conditioner first.

Also, make sure your PCV system vents properly and is not plugged. Pressurized crankcase pushes oil out. Change out the PCV valve and the grommet (about $7-10 for both).

prices for 5SFE) GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $84.79 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 BCA Part # 221820 Oil pump seal $2.71

AISIN #16110-79185 water pump $58.79 FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $13.94

Srimanth wrote:

Reply to
johngdole