97 Camry Motor Mount

Recently, Meineke replaced my lower motor mount with an after-market part (Precision). Since it got fixed, the car has been really vibrating when idling or in stop and go traffic -- which it never did before. I took it to another mechanic who said that he thinks the problem is the motor mount -- the motor is raised up higher than before. He says that he took the mount out and put the engine on a jack and got no vibration. He said that he wouldn't hesitate to tell me to replace it with a genuine part, but when he called the Toyota dealer, they couldn't tell him if the part they were giving him would be solid or hydraulic. Does anyone know if the Toyota front lower motor mount is hydraulic or not? Or, should I just suck up the extra $225 and get a Toyota motor mount any way.

Thanks.

Reply to
John516

The front one on my 94 was hydraulic. I bought aftermarket brand and it was fine. I also replaced the rear and the top one.

Reply to
badgolferman

The Toyota front engine mounting bracket is fluid filled.

Reply to
Daniel

Say, how do you know when it's time to have the lower and rear motor mounts fixed? Will the engine start to really vibrate?

I already replaced the "dog bone" mount (the rubber was really torn up) by myself on my '96. At the time, my biggest concern was that the engine would collapse once I removed it. But it didn't, and it was easy (and I probably saved myself $100 easy...)

Reply to
onehappymadman

What happens with my '96 manual, is the car jerks back and forth when driving slowly in 1st gear. I believe its the mounts that contribute to this.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I would get a new mount, check it to the old one, if its different go back to mineke and complain till its fixed free. They are a large chain and I dought will screw you if you complain to headquarters

Reply to
m Ransley

Jason, could be play in the half shafts - on my automatic noticed the driveline shock disappeared when I replaced the axles.

Reply to
Daniel

That's possible I guess. There's those trunnions and God forbid, the side-gears in the diff.

Thanx for the suggestion,..Jason

Reply to
Jason James