'97 Camry power steering loud screeching noise!

When I turn the steering wheel completely to the left or to right and only at the point where the steering wheel stops I get a loud sreeching sound. Does anyone have any suggestions to what may be occurring or causing this? I recently (less than a week) had my drive belts along with my timing belt change and there was no screeching prior to this.

Thanks,

Reply to
proudpop

I have the same problem, but no new timing belt. Hopefully someone knows the cause.

Reply to
James Musgrave

Sounds like the PS belt is slipping. Retension the belt to the proper used belt tension (60-100 lbs).

New belts need typically 25% more tension to seat into the grooves properly. The proper way is to run the belt for 5 minutes using the new belt tension, and then retension the belt using the specified "used belt" tension. By definition, a "used belt" is a "new belt" run for at least 5 minutes. This is the draw back for not having an automatic belt tensioner. But it's cheaper to make jack screws and rails instead of auto tensioners.

A properly tensioned PS belt won't slip, and when you turn the wheel to it's limit, a bypass valve within the pump will open as a safety measure. It's not recommended to turn the wheel to the limit any more than several seconds. But a simple valve to save the pump is in place.

proudp> When I turn the steering wheel completely to the left or to right and only

Reply to
johngdole