97 Camry Radiator leak

Hi, Smelled radiator coolant and found a small weeping leak on the plastic top of the radiator. Not at the place where the plastic top joins the radiator but where the top makes a turn upwards. It looks like a crack in the plastic and as I said the coolant iis just weeping out. I know that in time it will get worse. Wonder if epoxy on that area would help.?? Or just bite the bullet and get a new radiator.

Carl

Reply to
lobo

Had a very similar situation on 95 Camry LE 4Cyl Auto radiator last summer at approx 125000 miles.

Never smelled the coolant but noticed level dropping in reservoir.

I won't say that you couldn't epoxy it satisfactorily because I didn't try, but our mechanic (independent & trustworthy) recommended replacement and I went with his advice.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

It's pretty easy to swap out the radiator, but then again, it's going to cost you a couple of hours, new coolant, the time it takes to buy one, disposal of the old one, etc., etc., as well as $200 more or less for the new aftermarket radiator.

Some JB WELD would be a lot quicker and considerably cheaper. Not saying it will work, not saying it won't, but I'd be tempted to try -- ask the parts counter folks for an opinion if you have a good parts store nearby.

And, if you go the cheapo route, two things:

  1. He who cheaps out usually ends up spending considerably more in the long run.

  1. If you "cheap out," keep a close eye on it for a couple, three weeks until you are satisfied all is well.

Good luck.

Reply to
timbirr

I posted a bit ago about cheaping out and trying a patch. I just offhandly mentioned JB Weld, even though there are lots of other products that would probably work as well or better. But, being bored and stuck at home today, I did end up going to the JB Web site. They have a lot more products than I remember...even one that will work on gas tanks....

So, with the cavet that I don't know if patching will work. I don't know if one of JB's products will work. And I have no financial interest in JB Weld at all...although I wish I did, you might just look at their Web site and see if you get any ideas. And, just so I don't sound so much like a "shill for JB," even tho. I deny it, you might try a local speciality radiator shop and see if they have a cheap solution they would be able to do for $40...$50....or you might try a local plumbling supply house and see if they have a sealer they might recommend.

There is a "Marine Epoxy" that I use on PVC pipes that are in constant contact with water that is fantastic, but I don't remember the name, but the guys at the plumb supply warehouse turned me onto it. Anyway, the JB site is:

timbirr

West System Epoxy. Accept no substitutes. :)

Reply to
Nobody Important

Opps, I am running on like an old lady....Just was reading JB Weld FAQs and they said something about a problem for plastics, which makes no sense to me, since I HAVE used it on plastics, but just another caution for you....Can you say "try a radiator shop..."

Reply to
timbirr

I had used Permatex's radiator epoxy once as a temporary fix while getting a replacement. For things like this, I like to go to the local NAPA parts store because they can get one the next morning if they don't have it in stock. And they offer lifetime warranty. rockauto.com however, offers better prices.

The one I used was the blue one on the left, about $5. Didn't see the green one at Pep Boys:

If you're doing the work, it's a good time to change out all the cooling system hoses and thermostat. I prefer Gates belts and hoses, but always go with toyota thermostat and coolant (plus distilled water).

Reply to
johngdole

The Permatex radiator fix worked out well as a temporary fix actually. I could have left it on there, but the new radiator came so might as well.

Reply to
johngdole

Bite the bullet.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

What a coincidence, my 95 just had a 1.5 year old radiator crack in the same place. I was just going to replace it but after reading this thread I'm going to try patching it. Even if it only lasts for a couple of months it will me a bit more freedom as to when I replace it.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Or a lot less becasue it failed when you were miles from home.....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yep, a failure is possible, but it is the kinda of stuff I used to do all the time in my 20s, and honestly, never really had any problems. A small seepage likely won't leave you stranded. Keep an eye on the coolant level, keep a spare gallon in the trunk and watch the temp gauge and you can probably go a few years.

Reply to
timbirr

I used JB Weld it worked, but it took maybe 2 days to cure in the cold, use the cleaner they recommend.

Reply to
ransley
1.5 year old radiator? shouldn't it be under some sort of warranty? For example NAPA gives you lifetime warranty. (That's why I buy there).

BTW, if you want to use the epoxy, make sure the area is CLEAN AND DRY. I did use SAND PAPER to rough up the surface to allow the epoxy something to grab on to. As I said, it was a case of temporary fix while waiting for a radiator. (But the fix did look it's going to last a while).

I'd use Proliance, TransPro, Koyo or ReadyRad (no SpectraPremium for me) from your local store or:

johngdole

Yeah, we all have different threshold of tolerance. So we consider our own unique circumstance and make our own judgment call.

Reply to
johngdole