97 Camry rear end groan

My wife has been bugging me for about 30K miles to locate the source of a thud/groan in her Camry's back end. Everything seems tight back there and I have lubricated everything I can find. The only thing that seemed suspicious was the inner bushings on the lower support arms. Although they looked ok, when I gripped the arms and twist, they turn more than I would expect and make a noise. Is this normal? Can I buy these bushings or must the arms be replaced as a unit.

Thanks for any help offered.

Jim G.

Reply to
Godfreys

Its that sort of find that can be the culprit. Modern neoprene (or whatever they're made of) suspension bushes can only be tested byapplying a substantial amount of levering force to check for excessive movement. The amount of force required to test for movement will depend on the size of the bush. Those small lower arm bushes are there to locate the strut and provide some suspension support as the spring compresses/decompresses over the road surface. If you can twist them easily with only a *small* (say by hand) amount of force, I would be suspicious about their condition.

Most suspension noises occur when the assembly 'loads up' and 'unloads' ie during braking or going from forward to reverse and via versa,....also travelling over undulations on the road surface etc

Jason

Reply to
Jason James