97 Camry recurring p0441 OBDII code.

My now independent ex-toyota master mechanic checked it and reset it a month ago. He installed new gas cap, tightened the clamps on the fuel fill hoses to the gas tank and there was a slightly loose hose to the evap canister that was fixed. He said next step is replacing the VSV valve which is in a terrible place to get to. Anyone had this done? Did it solve the problem? Thanks.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I don't recall there being a terribly located VSV for that system. If I remember correctly, the EGR VSV on the 4cyl is the real bastard to change, not the evap valves. Anyway, the next step would be to identify a leak, NOT toss parts at it. The '97 has the green evap testing port for pressurizing, right?

Reply to
qslim

From what I hear the VSV is locate on the back of the engine block on the 4 cylinder. I have a Haynes manual but I see no green evap test port.... I think it mentions testing by reading ohms. I have a DVM so if I could get to it I could test that way. Would like to know how to test with EVAP port. Thank you

Reply to
ROBMURR

Okay, now you are talking about P0441 - "evaporative emissions vent control malfunction", right? Because the VSV on the back of the block is for the EGR system. On your Camry you should have two valves for the evap system, I think. The purge valve should be on or near the filter box, and canister closed valve should be on the charcoal canister. The evap testing port that I was talking about (not sure if it's on your '97 or not) is normally in the area of the filter box up front, has a green cap and a label that says what it is. Toyota makes a testing kit that hooks up to that port and pressurizes the system. By watching the pressure gauge on the tester you are able to tell if the system is leaking or not.

Reply to
qslim