98 Camry fuel filter

Hi,

Now that my reputation here is shot, I'm the guy who's Camry fell off the jacks, lug nuts were loose after brake pad change. Let me say this, yes it was all my fault, I have learned TREMENDOUSLY about how to do everything correctly from now on. I'm very lucky I was no where near the front of the car when it fell. The lug nuts being loose and the car falling off the jacks was the first time it has ever happened, and that WON'T ever happen again, believe me.

Now I need some more help. My car hesitates on acceleration after coming to a stop. It used to be very smooth while stepping on the pedal. Now it sort of jumps, slightly but noticeable.

I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank on fill-up, but I'm thinking about changing the fuel filter.

First off, I'm not exaclty sure where it is and if it's easy to change or if I should just bring it to a shop?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve K

I can tell you how to change the fuel filter, but first try cleaning the throttle body. The Haynes manual (under $20) has pictures. Spray emission control safe carburetor cleaner around the butterfly valve, massage it a bit with an old toothbrush, and clean the residue with a rag. Contaminants are causing that valve to stick slightly when you first step on the gas, and cleaning will cure it. ~~~~ I wrote a message ealier, but deleted it without sending. Basically it said, I always spend a moment in silent contemplation before attempting any mechanical work on the car, recognizing that I can injure the vehicle or myself severely, and listen to my highest inner guidance so that the repair processes go smoothly - and then they always do.

Reply to
Daniel

The fuel filter is a pretty straight forward job, I think yours is located under the airbox. I say 'I think" because we rarely see actual driveability problems associated with fuel filters on those things; I rarely replace them. Can you give a better description as to what exactly you are experiencing, also what engine you have? As far as dropping cars off jacks & leaving lugnuts loose, don't worry about it. It's not a problem unless you do it again, which I bet you won't! I couldn't even begin to list all the stuff I wrecked when I first started doing this professionally. A loose drain plug here, loose lug nuts there, and a litany of mis-diagnoses. I've learned enough from making mistakes to fill a book, I'm sure. As long as they are one-time deals, no harm, no foul.

Reply to
qslim

Where do you work? I ain't going there!!!

My second Saturday the SM had me change oil and rotate tires (I'm a DETAILER!!!)

Now, I have done this 86 times on one car alone! (my '85 Corolla, 259,000 miles, oil changed EVERY 3,000 miles!) and yet, I was almost terrified doing it with someone's nice new Echo!

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

Where do you work? I ain't going there!!! ~~~ It's everywhere. Almost every single time I have checked the work of prior mechanics, I find something not quite right:

-ball joint replacement - forgot the cotter pin, comes crashing down almost a year later

-bearing lock bolt on the passenger axle not replaced-neoprene tip that holds bearing missing

-two transmission pan bolts stripped-discovered when I changed the gasket, bolts just turned and turned-and I had been very gentle with them so I know they were already damaged

-thermostat installed in the wrong position-not aligned with the mark on the water inlet the list goes on . . . over many different vehicles for a number of years. I'm convinced the only cure is to do your own work, take your time, be careful. I think a lot of times the mechanics are trying to do a good job, but under a lot of time pressure to make more money by completing the work faster. Here's one more - stripped distributor hold down bolt- bolt came right out, threads hanging off of it, service department denied responsiblity when I know it was fine the last time I touched it, prior to bringiing it in for diagnosis of backfire which I imagine they suspected the timing was off and would naturally have checked. I'll try to stop now, it actually is quite a long list. I suspect since most people are not mechanics, they never discover most things. (like my chipped crankshaft pulley (in the back) from the prior mechanic prying instead of using the correct puller).

Reply to
Daniel

Steve, Could it just be afraid of you? :-) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Reply to
davidj92

My point is that you can ask any master auto technician anywhere, and he will have invariably made numerous mistakes in the past. When you do anything day in and day out (particularly with the volume of a Toyota dealer), mistakes happen. Im confident that the reason nothing like this happens to my clients cars anymore is because I learned from all my mistakes in the past. And as far as the OP goes, he deserves credit for putting his own car up on blocks and trying to figure out what the hell is going on with his machine. I'll bet money he'll double check his jack placement from now on, too. Thats how you learn.

Reply to
qslim

Do what Daniel said about the throttle body, it can cause the pedal to feel like its sticking. FI cleaning...I tried several expensive bottles of techron, no help on a plugged injector. Had my mechanic use the cleaner from toyota that plugs into your fuel rail and runs entirely from the cleaner bottle and that cured it right up. Fuel filter. I would change it but you need special wrenches to do it right, then you could have leaks if not done properly. I suggest the dealer for this.

Reply to
Rob