98 Camry Odometer

I took my mother's Camry for an oil change yesterday.

It had 52,000 miles on it. Now my mother says the odometer shows

72,000 miles.

Can this have happened without the repair shop having altered it? If so, what went wrong with the car?

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez

Maybe whoever saw 52,000 miles was mistaken. That is very low mileage for an 8-9 year old car. I would look for older service records to see what they show for mileage figures on that car.

Reply to
badgolferman

It's the right mileage. My mother doesn't drive much.

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez

What's the mileage on the repair order when you had it written up? 52K?

If so, take the car back and explain to the shop you couldn't have driven 20K miles in a day or two. If so the odometer memory probably flipped a bit. But it can be difficult once the car leaves the lot.

Tuco Ramirez wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez

Take it back you need it to come back correct at 92000

Reply to
m Ransley

Ahh..., ok.

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez

Just a wild guess.

My 00 XLE Camry has a LCD odometer which provides 3 different displays. Trip A, B and the total mileage. Are you looking at the same one before and after the service?

Reply to
aiuser

I will check (will have to be done monday); it's my mother's car. But judging by how much she drives, I am certain that 52,000 is the right number.

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez

Just to clarify.

It is one LCD screen which can cycles through 3 different information by pressing a tiny stick right below the screen.

Reply to
aiuser

I'll bet you've hit upon it.

Reply to
badgolferman

That's what it was. The mechanic must have touched the button that changes it, so it was displaying 7,200.0, my mother thought it was

72,000.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tuco Ramirez