98 Camry - Remote for locks does not work properly

To lock or unlock doors, I have to hold the button for several seconds or until it eventually works. I have replaced the batteries and tried to clean the contants. Is there a better repair?

Reply to
Mike

One of the remotes on my 98 has the same symptom. I also replaced the battery to no avail, so I assume it is a mechanical problem with the buttons. After a while they just wear out, sort of like a TV remote control.

I am now using the other remote that came with the car. You can buy a replacement, but if you don't have a least one remote that is working when you purchase a replacement, I think it costs a lot more to get one reprogrammed.

Reply to
Mark A

How did you clean the contacts? After replacing the remote a couple of times, (which does work), and having the syptom recur, I tried spraying WD-40 at the contacts after opening the back of the case. So far, still working fine. Try to avoid overspray and clean any excess with a rag. "WD" is "water displacement" and it actually seems to do a good job on cleaning electrical contacts. Obviously will also penetrate even if you cannot see the contact surfaces, but do spray from behind, not the surface of the buttons.

Reply to
Daniel

Be sure you put the battery in the proper side up. If the battery is put in backwards, the remote will not work. I speak from experience. The dealer replaced a battery for my parents years ago and it was determined the remote was bad. Last year I opened the remote to find out what size battery was required for the other remote and found the battery was installed incorrectly. Now both remotes work.

Reply to
Clay