'98 Camry Security System Peeps instead of Beeps

Greetings and Felicitations

I have a 98 Camry LE 4cyl with the factory theft protection system. Yesterday when I unlocked it using the remote, instead of the familiar two beeps all I heard were two muted peeps. I pressed the button a few more times and I could barely hear the beeps - the sound of the doors locking and unlocking drowned out the beeps. Can anyone tell me where that beeper is located and if it can be replaced by something other than the stock Toyota beeper? I'm sure they'll want an arm and a leg for it at the dealer. I did some searching for a replacement but I'm not even sure what it's called. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, NRJ

"Very funny Scotty..... Now beam down my clothes!"

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

In article ,

On my '98 Camry V6 LE, the security system that came with it (SecureKey+ or whatever) uses the horn instead of a dedicated beeper.

As an aside, I found out today how to disable the beeps everytime it arms/disarms. I disabled the beeps because the horn is loud and it's annoying to hear everytime. If you need instructions on how to disable the horn/beeps let me know(yes, it's not what you were asking...)

Thanks, John.

Reply to
John

Yes, How do you turn off the horn noise. I also have a 1998 V6 LE. Randy

Reply to
<rbyrd2534

If you have the SecureKey system you do the following:

(from page 9 of the book, "Activating the CHIRPS", with my comments in brackets)

  1. Start with the LED valet switch in the off position, then turn the vehicle's ingnition key on then off.
[

The LED valet switch on my car was to the left of the steering wheel near the dash board light dimmer. Off position is when the red button is OUT.

You don't start the car, just move the key to on position so the dash board lights come on, then to off.

]
  1. Within 10 seconds, cycle the LED valet switch to on then off three times (press and release the switch 6 times).
[ You push it in, then out which is considered 1 cycle. You must cycle the switch 3 times].
  1. If the chips were off beofre you started, then you will hear 1 chirp indicating that they have been turned on.
  2. If the chips were on before you started, then you will hear 2 chirps indiciating that they have been turned off.

Let me know how it goes!

-- John.

Reply to
John