'98 Camry: smoke puff when starting the car

Hello,

I've just recently purchased a '98 Camry with 148k on it. The car is driving really well and passed a smog check with flying colors. However, I noticed that when starting the car a dark smoke puff comes out of the exhaust. It's only a momentary thing; there's no more smoke coming out when the car is running.

My question is: am I due for an exhaust change anyways due to the car's age/milage, or is the smoke puff a symptom of a bigger engine maintenance issue (the "maintenance required" light is not on)?

NOTE: The smog check was done by the previous owner at a Toyota dealership; the car scored well below the averages.

Any ideas? I sure would be grateful! :)

Bartek

Reply to
Bartek

== Valve guide seals. Common problem. Considered minor, inconsequential. Search this group for valve seal or valve guide for more information

Reply to
Daniel

If the smoke is blue, it's the slightly worn valve guides already noted. If the smoke is black your mixture is too rich at startup - it needs either a tuneup or maybe a sensor replaced. If it's valve guides and you want to try to improve it, first make sure you are using 10W-30 oilk, not 0W-30 or 5W-30. If you already are, you can try 'high mileage oil', which contains an additive to swell the valve seals.

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
mjc1

Had the same problem with a 2001 camry with about 50000 miles. Turned out to be bad valve stem seals. Cost to repair was $750. I did not pay anything since the drive train mileage was within the warranty period.

Oil leaks into the cylinders from the overhead valve area when the engine is off for a period of time. This accumulation of oil comes out as a puff of smoke on start up. Don't think this does any damage if you're not in a hurry to fix it.

Reply to
Robert J. Glahn

Thank you all for contributing!

I think I'll leave the car without any repairs for now (that is, unless the puff gets bigger? :).

Bartek

Reply to
Bartek

Like others have said, this is the Valve Guide seals..er...NOT sealing! Minor. I ran a Corolla GTS for 50,000 miles like this.

I also have a Supra with over 175,000 miles that does this. The longer it sits, the worse the smoke is at atartup. I figured I'd try Castrol High Mileage oil and see what happens. After a few days driving with the H-M oil, the smoke got less..and less...and less. Now it is impercaptable on start up. Try one of the H-M oils and see if it goes away. I'm assuming since you're just posting this you're just noticing it, so it may have a lasting effect for you!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku,

this sounds like the most non-invasive way to tackle the smoke issue. I'll definitely try it the next time I will be due for an oil change!

Thank you for your feedback.

Bartek

Reply to
Bartek

As a cheap possible quick fix try replacing the PCV valve. That did the trick on my 94 Camry when it was blowing out blue smoke in the mornings.

Reply to
badgolferman

Bet the stem seals are U/S , usually what causes PCV to fail...... EVERY PROBLEM HAS A CAUSE AND SEVERAL FIXES. Dave

Reply to
videokid400

Cheap is right! I found a PCV valve for my model for around $10.00 online; will check out my local Kragen store, though. Such a replacement is definitely something I should look into.

Thanks!

Bartek

Reply to
Bartek

While you're thinking of an oil change... are you using 5W-30 or

10W-30?

If you're using 5W-30 now, and you're not in an area that sees snow very often, you might consider going for the slightly higher viscosity

10W-30.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett