98 Camry starting problem

Hi,

I have a 98 Camry. This problem often happens in winter, but it occurred a couple of times in warm weather as well over last couple of years.

When turning the key in ignition, I hear this high pitch noise but nothing happens. I retry and it starts right up,

This happens more often when the car is cold but it has also occurred after the car is warmed up.

Car is otherwise in excellent condition.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Raymond

Reply to
websafe

Does it sound like the starter motor is spinning (the high pitch noise) but not engaging the gear teeth on the flywheel? If so, the starter solenoid may be dirty, causing the plunger inside to get stuck, or the copper contacts inside could be worn to the point that the plunger makes contact (and spins up the motor) but get cocked in the bore and not push the Bendix gear out to engage the flywheel. You could pull the starter out and give it a good cleaning and inspection and see if you can identify the cause of the problem:

Roger Brown

My old car used to do the same thing. My coil was old and leaking oil. Unplug the + and - wires to the coil. TUrn the ignition to the ON position, and see if you hear the noise. The car won't start without those wires, but it will tell you what is wrong. To find the coil: Follow one spark plug wire back.

IF it goes to: A) a cap with one spark-plug like wire coming out and going to a device, the device is your coil. B) If all go into one unit and there is no single spark plug-like wire, that device is your coil-pack.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed