'98 Camry V6 Timing belt surprise!

Hi all.

I had a really bizarre problem and thought I would share.

For a little while now I had been hearing a "bearing grinding noise" coming from my V6 1MZ-FE. I had the idlers bearings replaced at 93k because they were bad, and I thought that the upper bearing failed again. The timing belt was replaced at 60k and then later at 78k when I had to get the water pump replaced.

I took the car to my excellent Toyota mechanic and he pulled the timing belt cover and we had a listen. Much to our surprise, the noise wasn't coming from the idler but from the cam sprocket area (the cam closest to the front bumper).

After listening to the noise for a little while, we killed the engine and he thought for a little while...he checked the tensioner and it seemed OK and the idler bearings were OK too.

He then used a wrench to manually move the cam sprocket and we found the belt had stretched tremendously, almost by a tooth! The slack in the belt was beating against the upper cam and vibrating it which was actually causing the awful noise!

To make a long story short, he replaced the timing belt and tensioner, and the horrible noise went away and the engine is running very smoothly! I can tell a tremendous difference in performance and fuel economy has increased -- I suspect the noise was causing the knock sensors to falsely retard ignition.

My only residual concern is when we pulled the valve cover, I noticed some varnishing near the spark plug area closest to the cam sprocket, though I've been doing 6k oil changes with Mobil-1 5W-30. It's possible that the stretched timing belt somehow relates to the build up as I distinctly recall seeing the valve cover off at 90k mi w/o any varnishing...

Anyway, the bottom line is that if you happen to be in the timing belt area, replace the damn thing. A stretched belt can cause weird and hard to diagnose problems.

Jay.

Reply to
Jay

My 97 camry 4 cyl had a loose belt from the factory. Make sure you use a genuine toyota belt.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Robmurr,

The belt that was put on at 78k mi was factory as is the new one, but thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Frankly, if you're going to go through the trouble of putting a new belt on, why not spend the extra few $$ to get a Toyota part??

Thanks! Jay.

Reply to
Jay