[98LE] Blinker behaving weird

This started happening recently to my '98 LE: when driving with the headlights on, if I signal a right turn the right blinker starts blinking twice as fast as normal. The left blinker behaves normally as usual. When the headlights are off both blinkers behave normally. What can be causing this and how to fix it?

Reply to
Alex Ivlev

Replace the front turn bulb on the side that blinks fast.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

MDT Tech, I thought this would be a problem with the turn signal socket (not steering stauk) since the bulb is working fine when the headlights are off. To me this would be a current voltage issue and not a bulb (unless the bulb has a short).

Reply to
Car Guy

I didnt say anything about the "stalk"??? I said to replace the bulb. It is in fact, a poor ground, and the strange behaviour is a result of a counter voltage is why is works differently with headlamps ov vs off.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Had same problem on 99...take the bulb out and clean it...a little and I mean a little brush with sandpaper on the lead bottom to clean and you should be fine....this was a suggestion from someone else and worked fine for me....replacing bulb at this point is not an option.

Gordon

Reply to
Raneman

I have a similar problem with my 99 XLE. Some say clean it, some say replace it, others say the problem lies in the control stalk so what I have decided to do in this sub zero weather is LIVE WITH IT. If it works why fix it to coin the old addage. So it blinks a bit faster. And then now and then it goes away too. Like most of my minor glitches on this beautiful automobile they seem to self correct in time. Had a bumper ding pop out for me, a tire somehow seal itself and now the turn signal self heals intermittently --what more can a guy ask? Now if the leather seats would only learn to heat themselves.

Mike The Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

it, others say the problem lies in the control stalk....

Been there, done it, no problem. Doing nothing is never an option.

Let me know when you run out of gas and get a full tank by procrastinating veering into a gas station or having the crack in your windshield repaired by sun light.

Regards,

Gordon

Reply to
Raneman