98LE Power Door Lock and Window Switches - Loose

This set of switches embedded in the driver's armrest is loose and pops up above the armrest when the door is slammed shut. Is there an easy (or inexpensive) way to tighten these down?

The dealer tells me the door will have to be disassembled and labor charges will be high.

Thanks again -

Leonard M. Wapner

Dealers quote high prices on everything. Seems like it's very unlikely to get out of there for under $80 regardless of what's being done. In fairness to the dealer, they do have the overhead of advertising, space rent, training, tools and equipment, salaries, and of course, profit. So if you do pay the prices, you're supposed to (in theory anyway) get high quality work by people familiar with your vehicle. It's really not that difficult to replace the bulb. You need to remove the plastic radio surround piece by prying on a corner, then unfasten the bolts holding that section of cover plate for the dash, and pry off the knobs. Of course, the bulbs themselves are not expensive. In my case, even though I do things myself like changing the timing belt and axles, it didn't seem worth the effort for the benefit. Instead, I simply have learned the positions on the dial. The knobs are different sizes so you can tell by touch when driving and not have to divert your attention from the road, which in my view is better anyway. In other words, the fan switch is smaller than the temperature and position switches on either side. For the position switch, the arrangement is logical. Dash vents only, dash and floor, floor only, floor and defrost, and defrost only , IIRC. So once you learn them, you don't need the light. And of course, you don't need it during the day either.

Reply to
Daniel

Try an auto body shop. They're familiar with such issues, and it will seem like a quick and easy small job to them, compared to crash restorations.

Reply to
Daniel

Almost all such parts on the Camry snap into place. Doesn't seem like the door panel would have to be removed to replace the switch - especially since yours is already loose. But the problem could be with the door panel switch base. Try checking with an auto body shop. They're supposed to be expert at reassembling such things and you'll probably find the price reasonable for a small job like that (no dent removal, sanding or painting).

Reply to
Daniel