99 camry 102K: timing belt, rear shock-absorbers, egr

hello, all. thanks for all helpfull answers and suggestions. here is new three problems.

  1. the car has 102K miles and i have no record of when was the last time of changing timing belt
  2. a friend told me that rear shock-absorbers are without air and must be replaced.
  3. light "service engine" is on and the OBD-II code is PO401 (insuff. EGR flow detected)

I have three questions to each of the problem:

  1. As to timing belt i am just scared by all forums where it causes engine die. Maybe if engine works just fine timing belt should not be touched at all. Will i feel somehow if my belt is relatively new or not?
  2. As to shock-absorbers is it really unsafe to drive now (or in coming winter)
  3. As to EGR what is most probable cause of this problem. (the previous owner gave me the car with very dirty oil; could that affect EGR seriously?)
Reply to
rpetrenko

check with dealer, but normal belt change interval is either 60K or 90K miles. Ask them if engine is interferring or non-interferring type I think the toyota engine is non-inter type. so if belt breaks, then no damage will occur, just need to be towed to garage and have belt replaced. If you decide to change the belt out, have the water pump, themostat and associated gasket, seals, o-rings changed at sametime. There are some belt tensioner bearing also that may need to be replaced. It they fail, you'll be paying same labor again to replace the part. Bad shock, seems premature for shock to go bad, get another opinion. EGR problem, could be a clogged pipe to egr, look for pipe from exhast to egr valve. remove and unclog. If clogged, most likely it won't pass smog test. I thing the pipe clogs due to exhast carbon/crud build up. I think this maybe normal for the amount of miles on the car. Change oil, if its dirty, who knows when was the last oil change. May want to change out trans oil also, flush out coolant. Sounds like it need a tuneup, may want to change out plugs, rotor, dist cap, fuel filter. Then you'll be set for the next 60-100K mi.

Reply to
jjjsan

is this a 4 cyl or 6 cyl??

Reply to
Curtis Newton

it is 4 cyl, trim CE

Reply to
rpetrenko

That generation of 4 cylinder is non-interference design, but if the belt goes, it will leave you stranded. To be 100% sure about non-interference, call the dealer to verify. Believe Toyota recommends replacement between 60K-90K miles, so if it hasn't been done, you are overdue.

Don't forget the water pump, tensioner and seals while you are in there.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I just changed out the timing belt on my ?99 Camry myself and it?s definitely a non-interference motor. But if yours breaks, you?ll have an engine that will cut out fast and you?ll be stranded.

Like everybody is stating and since the engine is opened up, spend a little more money and change out the water pump, thermostat, the cam seal, crankshaft seal, oil pump housing ?o? ring and oil pump pulley seal, valve cover seal, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley. This is cheap insurance and peace of mind that it will last another 90,000 miles without any problems leaks or failures. You should also use genuine Toyota seals and water pump. I?ve seen several aftermarket products and they look like they are inferior on a side by side comparison.

Your rear shocks or actually struts and they usually start to leak oil not air. My Camry actually needed new struts at 70,000 miles, the rear started to leak. If you want the best control of your car in certain zig-zag situations, you should change them out.

As for your EGR, at a 100,000 miles anything can happen to it. Take if off and look for obstructions in the manifold and on the EGR itself. And also consider to replaced it.

Good Luck.

Reply to
hamwitty