99 Camry 4cyl, noisy engine after water pump failure

Maybe somebody in this group can help me out, here's my situation:

My water pump seized up causing the timing belt to be shredded. Both the water pump and timing belt were replaced, but as soon as I left the repair shop I noticed that the engine was louder. Right around

2000 RPM the engine has a low bogged down sound to it.

I brought the car to another mechanic and he verified that the new timing belt was installed correctly.

Does anybody have any ideas what a water pump failure, water pump and timing belt replacement could do to cause this? The car ran perfectly well before the failure.

Thanks in advance, Dan

Reply to
Dan Grishaver

You wouldn't think the engine overheated,..as the pump siezing would shut the engine down by shredding the cam-belt.

As an aside, was the engine needing lots of coolant top-ups prior to this?

Is this noise metallic or a deep thumping sound to it? Thinking bearing probs there or does the engine shake? Maybe the balance shafts are out of sync due incorrect belt installation.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Maybe the bolt on the timing belt tensioner was left loose. I've done that once or twice myself and realized it only after starting it up and it sounding like there was a leaf blower under the hood. Take it back to the shop that did it, it's not terribly hard to check.

Reply to
qslim

Nope, no overheating, and it never needed more coolant.

It's pretty hard to describe the sound, it's as if the car is working hard. A low growly sound. As soon as the engine's gets past around

2000 rpm the noise fades away.

Reply to
Dan Grishaver

qslim wrote: : Maybe the bolt on the timing belt tensioner was left loose. I've done that : once or twice myself and realized it only after starting it up and it : sounding like there was a leaf blower under the hood. Take it back to the : shop that did it, it's not terribly hard to check.

Wow, I had this problem after a timing belt change although the belt wasn't bad beforehand. I also have a 99 Camry. I brought it to three shops (including the one who originally did the work) and they all said the belt was installed properly. Prior to belt installation, the engine was so quiet I could almost not even tell it was on. Now it's noisy, just like the original poster mentioned.

This was about 1.5 years ago; I've just been living with it but I am not completely happy!

I'll be interested to hear any other posts. I haven't been able to get anyone to check any bearings because they all say that would require a lot of work. I haven't thought about the bolt; but the noise isn't quite that loud (plus I would hope that one of the other shops would have noticed that).

Holly

Reply to
Holly

It sounds like the timing belt has stretched. On my '98 V6, the timing belt had stretched and made an AWFUL bearing-like grinding noise.

My suggestion is to get the timing belt, idlers and tensioner replaced. It's NOT going to be cheap, but it's likely one of those three has gone bad...

Jay.

Reply to
Jay