99 Camry, 50k miles. Extra services needed?

My daughter moved away from home again (finally), but she and her 99 Camry

4cyl will be home in a couple of weeks. She's been getting the oil changed regularly, but nothing else.

My mechanic (who works on the side, out of his garage) will set aside a little extra time to do what periodic services are needed.

At 50k miles, what should I have him do, besides a tranny service and fuel filter? Any strange stuff Toyota recommends that's actually important and not just a cash cow for the dealer?

Thanks, Dean

Reply to
Dean

If you haven't done this already, it's always a good idea to drain and fill the radiator. Go to your Toyota dealer and get a gallon of the Toyota-brand Red coolant. Don't let the mechanic put some off-brand in there.

Reply to
<psommerhalder

Thank You.

Does that new (gold colored, I think???) multi-purpose antifreeze work?

fill

Toyota-brand

Camry

changed

fuel

and

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
<psommerhalder

No, you should use Toyota Red if at all possible. Don't use any other "red" anti-freeze (or any other color), because it is not the same. Just about any anti-freeze will "work," but Toyota Red does less damage to the water pump than the other anti-freeze formulations.

Toyota Red does not last as long as some of the "long life" formulations. But it is usually better to replace the anti-freeze a bit more often than to replace the water pump.

Replace the air filter also. The Camry air filter I got at my dealer was less money ($12) than a Fram air filter at Wal-Mart (about $16).

Reply to
Mark A

Spark plugs and timing belt are due at 60,000 miles. Always a good idea to change the brake fluid every couple of years. Doesn't hurt to drain and refill power steering reservoir also. Also, she may have the separate differential - make sure it is not overlooked when the transmission is done. Usually they always do this, but also check the thickness of brake pads / shoes. Moving to the completely obvious, remember some people never check their tire pressure, so don't overlook that.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

When replacing the timing belt, due at 60 thousand miles, you might consider also replacing the water pump then.

Morton

"Daniel M. Dreifus" wrote:

Reply to
Morton Linder

also

You all may think this is bad advice, but I believe the timing belt can easily make it to 75,000 or even 90,000 miles.......granted if it breaks, it will leave you stranded, but at least it won't do any engine damage. But, I do agree to replace the water pump and tensioner while in there.

-

-- snipped-for-privacy@akaMail.com Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton