99 camry backup lights

I recently installed a rear backup sensor warning system on the rear license plate that splices into the backup light in the trunk lid. After about a month the following happened.

One of the back up bulbs went out. I also had the following on the dash board:

  • lamp warning light on (all the time)
  • reverse indicator stays on R when in any gear (other gears are on as well)
  • check engine light stays on (error code was for neutral safety switch)

I disconnected the new wire and still had the same problems.

I changed the bulb and the new bulbs made the other bulbs go very dim (grounding problem?) and they blew quickly.

All other bulbs are working fine.

Any ideas?

Reply to
99 camry

Check for frayed wires ANYWHERE in the trunk, especially at the splice and by the trunk hinge.

Reply to
Sharx35

That was the ticket, 3 of the 6 wires at the trunk hinge were broken. Spliced them and all if great. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
99 camry

Wow!!! Great to hear that my experience was of value to you. It was a long shot, I thought.

Reply to
Sharx35

Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day, right? ;p

Reply to
hachiroku

Smoke pole, ricer boy!

Reply to
Sharx35

My BU lights havent worked for a month or two and I just got around yesterday to checking the cause. Same thing; broken wires in hinge cable, only in my case all six!

Reply to
Chuck

Any ideas, anyone, as to why the Camry, esp. the 99 one seems to have this problem? I don't think that I open and close my Camry trunk anymore than I opened and closed the trunks of any of my previous vehicles. However, on several occasions, I jammed the trunk to capacity and now I wonder if something in my load could have abraded the wires by that left hinge.

Reply to
Sharx35