99 Camry - Buying advice

Hello everyone,

I am looking forward to becoming a proud owner of a Camry, the most reliable car in the world! I would like to seek some expert opinions on the car from you owners who drive it day in and day out. The car I am planning to buy is:

1999 Toyota Camry LE Black Color 54,600 miles Title clean, no accidents, verified carfax

The car was owned in Connecticut for 2 years and so rust is quite evident. The original mats are missing and the carpet needs definite shampooing. Also, the car smells sorta bad. I have heard about ppl complaining of the car smelling like dead rat or rotten egg... this wasn't as bad but definitely unpleasant. I found this interesting in the trunk though...the temperature was in the upper 60s, lower 70s and the tar from one of the boards over the spare tire had begun to melt a bit...I understand that the car is black but does it get SO HOT to melt the tar a bit..it wasn't like the tar was flowing but it sure did get soft.

The KBB value for this car is at 7200 USD roughly. Could someone comment on the gas mileage for this car? Also, at speeds abve 65, there seems to be a little vibration on the steering wheel and the car itself...is this normal? The other questions I had were:

  • What are the common failures on these cars?
  • How does this car do on gas..what is the avg city/hwy mpg ? [MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERING CURRENT GAS PRICES, I GUESS!!

Please feel free to furnish any other piece of information I need to know/check before buying the car. I really appreciate all of your help in this regard.

Thank you. Guru.

Reply to
rc

I picked up a gray '99 Camry LE with 95,000 miles Dec. 2003 and paid $6000. The 4-cylinder gets me about 35MPG highway with the 4 speed automatic with no A/C, and about 18-23 around town.

The vibration sounds like wheel balance and or tires. When I got mine, it had some Michelin tires which were in fair condition, but it had some vibration as well - new tires and 4 wheel alignment cured that. I also had to put new upper strut mounts in front as the originals had a way of clunking and making it sound like the front wheels were going to fall off. This is a known problem with Camrys of this vintage. (Suspension TSB # SU001-00, affects '97-99 Camrys)

Make sure you check the tranny fluid, and also the differential (different reservior for differential fluid, no shared with auto tranny))

It drives very nicely and I love it. Has 105K on it now.

Reply to
joe fonebone

The front end shake 99% is bad tires bad belts. You realy need to have a mechanic look at it miles can be altered. If you keep it change all fluids and any bad belts hoses. Was it on the ocean rust at low miles is not common.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have a '99 CE that is nearly perfect. 5-speed manual, 4 cyl. One problem that I'll have fixed soon is a rattle in the front right strut tower that is noticeable in winter temperatures.

Other than that, all I do is make sure the oil is changed and other routine maintenance is done. It's the most reliable transportation I've had.

JJ

-- "All things are under the law of change They are a dream, a phantom, a bubble or shadow; they are like dew or a flash of lightning, a flickering star at dawn. You should contemplate like this." ...The Diamond Sutra...

Reply to
J Johnson

So you're familiar with the suspension TSB # SU001-00? That cured my rattle in my '99 LE.

Reply to
Ken Peterson

Thank you everyone. I think I am gonna go for the car. It might not be the prettiest on road but sure is spacious, quiet, comfortable and incredibly reliable. Makes me wonder why they don't make people that way anymore :)

Reply to
rc