99 Camry CE Fuel Gauge problem

I recently purchased a 1999 Camry CE, and noticed that the gas gauge is not working right. On a fill up, it will only read 3/4 full, and then when reading empty has about 1/4 tank left. I am thinking it is probably a bad fuel sending unit. My question is how difficult (or expensive) a repair is this for a very basic do it yourselfer ?

thanks

Reply to
motor822

Hi,

My '99 only shows 3/4 immediately after filling, but within a couple of hours it does shows full. OTOH, when my fuel guage gets to 1/4 it is pratically empty, no more than 10 litres (100 km to go), while the first 3/4 of a tank takes me 550 km. The first 1/4 is good for 250 km so the gauge definitely isn't linear.

Reply to
Father Guido

I agree that the fuel gauge is not linear, but on all my cars when I fillup the tank, the gauge reads full, immediately. Even if the pump stops on the first auto shutoff, I used to fill to the brim but now I no longer do it. With the high price of gas I quit getting the full service I just add $20 when I gas up and lasts me for a week, depending if I make extra trips. My camry can go about >500 miles on a tank for when I go on long trips but I dont stretch it to 500 but I add when I reach about 400 miles, even before my warning light comes on. I imagine how annoying it is to see 3/4 full when you fill it up, you feel like you have just be robbed and more so empty when you still have quarter tank left that you feel all the gas just evaporated away. If that was my car I would jump on the trunk to slosh the gas in the tank and probably get some stuck thingy loose. But hey its just me, I'm the guy who would whack the dashboard when I hear some rattling sound. Maybe you can whack the dash too.. maybe the needle is stuck = )

Reply to
EdV

You can order the fuel level sending unit. An online Toyota dealer should be able to offer a better price. Google around.

The Denso unit should be around $60 or so and you'll need a new tank gasket. I wouldn't reuse the old one even if it looks pristine. There may be some fuel line plastic retainer clips that need to be replaced. While the fuel pressure is relieved change out the fuel filter ($25) in the engine bay as well. I use Wix fuel filters from the local NAPA store. Costs a bit more than online.

I wouldn't say the job's difficult, depending on your level of mechanical skills. But there are obvious safety issues working around the fuel system. Also, the flare nuts on the filter could have seized over the years, some owners reported. No problems with mine however.

Check the Haynes manual and decide if you want to do this. Also refer to the 96 fuel tank component chart (Figure 5) here:

johngdole