99 Camry CE fuel tank filler door

Once again, with -20 Celsius temperatures, I'm having trouble with the fuel door release. Tried activating the remote release lever--it took several tugs before the cable pulled the little pin back, releasing the door...barely.

Then, I noted that the little pin was stick in a fully recessed position..it is supposed to pop back out after releasing the fuel filler door. Tapping didn't work. So, I put a 60 watt trouble light up close to it for a few minutes. The heat from the bulb FINALLY caused the little plastic pin to pop free and I sprayed some deicer on it, working it back and forth. Then, I adjusted the spring on the inside of the fuel filler door. Now, when I release it, it pops out approx. an inch. Dealer fixes would last the rest of each winter, back when it was under warranty. Poor engineering.. the spring behind the little pin should be a lot stronger. Ditto for the spring like device involved in opening the filler door.

Reply to
Liberalsareliars