'99 Camry - clock and emergency flasher indicator related?

Hello.

I have a 1999 Camry in which the clock doesn't seem to work. I posted an article on here a while ago asking about it, though I have not gotten around to replacing it yet (dealers want $393 for a new clock, which seems rather ridiculous, and I have not tried a wreckers yet).

Anyway, I think I remember reading something a while ago that mentioned something about the emergency flasher indicator light and the clock being related. I noticed that my flasher indicator light does not work (the flashers themselves work fine - it's just the indicator that doesn't work). I don't think the problem is with the fuse, because I checked that when I noticed the clock didn't work, and it seems to be fine. However, is it possible that the flasher indicator and the clock are on the same circuit, wired in series? Or maybe something got disconnected from the flasher button. If this is the case, then having a bad bulb or something for the flasher indicator would cause the clock not to work.

Thanks for any info.

John

Reply to
John

I'm not sure, John, but it is logical that since the indicator and the clock 'memory' ALWAYS have power available to them, that this is a good conclusion. Having a bad dulb would not cause the clock to cease, however. But it looks like your on the right track. I AM assuming you checked the fuse?

Next step would be to remove what you can of the dash and have a look at the wiring; a wire may have worked loose, but this was more of a problem on the mid-80's models.

Reply to
HachiRoku

FWIW, the clock in my wife's '93 is on the same circuit as the dome light. Don't know about your '99 but that might be worth a look. Is your dome light working? FWIOW YMMV DFB

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Yes, my dome light is working. I don't remember offhand if it's on the same circuit as the clock or the flasher indicator light, though.

Reply to
John

Yes, I have checked every fuse associated with the clock (according to my manual), and they all seem to be fine.

This was my thought. I was fiddling around in there where the radio is a while ago (I was taking the radio out), which of course isn't too far away from where the flasher indicator is. It's possible that I inadvertantly disconnected a wire or something.

Reply to
John