'99 Camry Idle Control Valve

My son has a '99 Camry that seems to go through an idle control valve(?) at least once a year. At $200 for the valve + $200 for installation this is not acceptable. I found a thread in an online forum where others have had similar problems and Toyota blames the gas they are using.

Any thought on this issue in this group?

TIA, John

Reply to
John Smith

Mine is a 90 and never replaced, Is the part Toyota or aftermarket made at Hoos in back of jacks in Hong Shoe Provence China by blind people. Aftermarket is often junk. You have full warranty if its Toyota.

Reply to
m Ransley

My answer is part conjecture, and part speculation but seems to have worked for me. I used to clean the idle control valve ("IAC" - idle air control valve) with carburetor cleaner, when people said better to replace with new for more durable results. Since it seemed to need cleaning more frequently, I replaced it and followed all the procedures in the Factory Service manual for the associated throttle body removal and cleaning. Then the problem recurred! I had deconstructed the old IAC valve just to see how it was put together. IIRC, it had a bimetallic thermostatic coil on one end and an electromagnetic coil on the other. There is a cylindrical shaped piece of metal that rotates to open a port, but this is metal to metal contact with no provision for lubrication. So I began using TriFlow spray lubricant with Teflon and it seems to work quite well. A small amount can be sprayed into the rectangular opening at the bottom of the entrance to the throttle body which is the air inlet to the valve. I've tried spraying both cold and warm, depending on conditions. Seems to work well for me. I was not about to replace that valve again after having installed a factory fresh one and having the problem recur.

Reply to
Daniel

Daniel wrote: snip

snip

I used to use that lube on motorcycle chains. Several friends used PJ's and my chains used to always last a while longer than theirs. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

"" wrote: > My answer is part conjecture, and part speculation but seems > to have > worked for me. > I used to clean the idle control valve ("IAC" - idle air > control valve) > with carburetor cleaner, when people said better to replace > with new > for more durable results. > Since it seemed to need cleaning more frequently, I replaced > it and > followed all the procedures in the Factory Service manual for > the > associated throttle body removal and cleaning. > Then the problem recurred! > I had deconstructed the old IAC valve just to see how it was > put > together. IIRC, it had a bimetallic thermostatic coil on one > end and an > electromagnetic coil on the other. > There is a cylindrical shaped piece of metal that rotates to > open a > port, but this is metal to metal contact with no provision for > lubrication. > So I began using TriFlow spray lubricant with Teflon and it > seems to > work quite well. > A small amount can be sprayed into the rectangular opening at > the > bottom of the entrance to the throttle body which is the air > inlet to > the valve. > I've tried spraying both cold and warm, depending on > conditions. > Seems to work well for me. > I was not about to replace that valve again after having > installed a > factory fresh one and having the problem recur.

nospampls20021:

94 Camry 5SFE, A140E: Thanks for the lubrication tip. I repeatedly cleaned out my IAC for lack of a cold idle and it did not fix the problem. Using the Factory Service Manual, tried every test and tested OK. Sprayed a very little (1/2 second) silicon spray into IAC port, cycled IAC manually open and closed while also giving time for the spray carrier to evaporate. Fixed my cold idle problem, nice 1350 RPM cold idle. Thanks, this was driving me crazy.
Reply to
noodlerooney