99 Camry LE - Reverse indicator light

When car is in drive, the "R" indicator remains lit (in addition to the "D" indicator light) on the dash. Actually the "R" stays lit regardless of which "gear" setting you are in.

Any ideas?

Reply to
tfboni

There is probably a sticky contact in the console causing the light to stay on. Spilled any coffee/coke lately?

You might have to pull the console and then remove the plate over the shifter and try cleaning it.

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

You might have to pull the console and then remove the plate over the shifter and try cleaning it.

How complicated is this removal?

Reply to
tfboni

Getting the console out should be a matter of removing some screws, clasps and snaps.

Getting the plate out is a PITA. Luckily, all I've ever had to do was just blow the crap out of there or vacuum it. Also, snapping the plate would not be a good thing! I believe it's screwed in near the base of the shifter.

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

ITS NONE OF THE ANSWERS ABOVE!!!!!

Open the trunk look at the driver side hinge of the trunk lid see the black wrapped wire bundle attached to the left hinge? unwrap the covering and look for one broken wire' you will have to splice in a short piece of wire to the broken set to make it longer. retape the wire bundle

problem solved

i have fixed 5 of these in the past

Reply to
retiredcamry