99 Camry LE - steering wheel shaking

Just started noticing a "shaking" sort of vibration (not violent, but quite noticeable nonetheless) in steering wheel when driving at fairly low speeds ... maybe 20-35 mph range or so.

Not while applying brakes; merely in the steering while driving straight ahead. No pulling to one side or the other if I carefully take my hands off wheel momentarily at any MPH, just low speed shakes.

Once I accelerate above 40 mph, then all seems well.

132,000 miles on odometer. Original suspension components. Front tires are getting worn, due for replacement soon in any case. Careful driver

-- haven't hit anything hard (potholes, curbs, etc.) which would've messed up frontend.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks very much in advance.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

The first thing to check, before you check out something more serious/expensive, is to make sure the wheels are balanced. Sometimes the balance weights fall off. You may have to pay someone to do this, but some tire dealers (like Discount Tire) will do it for free for the life of your tires (of you bought them there).

If that does not fix the problem, you are probably looking at a suspension problem based on the number of miles on your car.

Reply to
Mark A

Balancing. I had the same problem on my '94 198k , I rotated the tires, it changed but still there. Different feel it still had low speed vibration, I had balanced only the front tires. Big change. I'm going to do the rear on tomorrow. It's all in the Hunter balancer, thats the difference. I don't think they did the Haweka adapter ( can't get in there to watch ). I was told earlier that was the problem but heldoff. Here's a link ,

Pressure balancing. Hope you get the same results, Dan

Reply to
odyssey

I have had this many times - it has always turned out to be a bent rim.

Reply to
RD

Probably tires or wheels, rotate front to back to confirm as broken belts are often not visable even with the tire off the rim.

Reply to
ransley