99 camry starter reasonable replacement cost (parts + labor)

Hi, I had to tow my car to the nearest Tires Plus due to starter problems. The repair person says the starter is locked and needs a replacement. He quoted the price for re-manufactured starter as $285 + 1 hr labor $90 and he says it comes with 5 year warranty. I cannot tow it to another place in this situation, so I have OKed it after attempting to bargain on the price and alternatives. Is this a reasonable price or another rip off?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
rsw

You might give this site a look-see. Don't have any idea as to it's validity although it puts your situation in the "ballpark" range.

Goat

Hi, I had to tow my car to the nearest Tires Plus due to starter problems. The repair person says the starter is locked and needs a replacement. He quoted the price for re-manufactured starter as $285 + 1 hr labor $90 and he says it comes with 5 year warranty. I cannot tow it to another place in this situation, so I have OKed it after attempting to bargain on the price and alternatives. Is this a reasonable price or another rip off?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Goat

I replaced a starter for my 96 Camry in Oct. It cost $150 for a re-manufactured starter, so your cost seems a little high. $285 seems more like a price for a new (not rebuilt) starter.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Google it and you will find them from 71.00 to 150 bucks, I'd think 50 dollars mark up would be enough but if the shop is going to stay open they need to make what they can when they can. There is a lot of overhead and jobs like this help to pay the bills. Think of it as at least 5 years of starter for 300 bucks or 60 dollars a year. This one says it's a new Bosh,

FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Changing the starter is easy on those cars (4 cylinder). However it is rare for them to go bad. Too bad you can't have it towed to Advance Auto or something and have it checked for free.

My 94 Camry had what I thought was a bad starter, but after replacing it I realized that wasn't it. It turned out to be the battery. Fortunately I was able to take it back because the terminals were on the opposite side of the starter and I claimed it wasn't a direct replacement.

Reply to
badgolferman