99 Camry Tie Rods

For all you Camry experts out there..can anyone advise on level of difficulting in changing out tie rods inner and outer for 99 camry? Is it safe to perform a DIY tie rod change and the drive a few blocks to have alignment done? any specail tools needed? Thanks!

Reply to
bigref

just count the exposed threads to get them back close to the original length - fi you're changing the tie rod ends, you should use a puller - Harbor Freight has tie rod end pullers for $6.95 in my area, or ck. harborfreight.com

just curious, how did you determine they need replacement?

Reply to
Daniel

Took car in for service at Pep Boys for a misfire diagnosis and repair (was on the road or I would fixed it my self). They poked around and suggested that tie rods very in very bad shape and wanted $950 to fix! just paid the $100 for the tune up and got the hell out of there.

Reply to
bigref

I suggest you get a second opinion. I have not had good luck with Pep Boys. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Peraxctly. Toyota has a reputation for using high endurance parts. My '96 has 173,000 ks and the discernable movement in the outer tie-rod-ends is not discernable.

If you want to check them for yourself,..jack up one front wheel at a time. Once off the ground, grovel around so you can see the tierod, then get someone to apply a back and forth movement on the road wheel in the horizontal plane. Prior, youmay need to have the front wheels pointing a steering-wheel turn or so off central to see the tierod properly. Any movement of the peg which is not followed by the tierod housing, is wear.

Jason.

Reply to
Jason James