'99 camry timing belt change gone bad

'99 v-6 Japan made camry ..ran flawlessly for 160,000 miles... did plug and liquid maint.per book. waited till 160,000 miles for all belts change. Got back and sounded like bearing bad after engine warmed up..changed both idler pulleys...same thing...any ideas????

Reply to
rbailey

If you didnt do the work take it back

Reply to
ransley

There are a lot of components with bearings in them: 2 idler pulleys, water pump, alternator, PS pump, AC clutch pulley. They all are in the same general area, so it will help if you can identify the source. If it's under the timing cover then when did you last change out the water pump?

I'd typically do the following: (older rockauto.com prices) GATES TCK257 timing component kit $89.79 (incl two idler pulleys and belt) FEL-PRO TCS45890 crank seal $6.27 FEL-PRO TCS45889 cam seal set $8.55 GATES K060410 Alt/AC belt $13.09 GATES K040345 PS belt $8.61 Bosch water pump $61.79 Total ~$188 + shipping

If needed: FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover set (with spark plug tube seals) $30.79

Reply to
johngdole

Take a boom handle , put it to your ears and touch it on the motor near different bearings, you can fint the bad bearing that way

Reply to
ransley

What sort of sound does a bad bearing make? Just out of curiosity since it seems that I have a rougher idle than I used to.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
johngdole