99 Solara broken trunk release

Hello, all. I have a '99 Solara SLE, and the trunk release just broke. I popped it (i.e., the floor latch) the other day, and the release lost its tension--i.e., it didn't go back down to the floor. Of course, I knew something was up. Sure enough, the trunk lid refused to close--latch closed, that is. Try to shut it, and it just bounced back up. Anyway, I disassembled the unit (taking the liner off the lid and unbolting the top mechanism) and disconnected the remote cable from the lock--just popping the cable/ball out of the catch. Works just fine, so I assume there's a kink in the wire, or possible corrosion in the cable conduit. The klinker: the car was in a slight flood about 7 months ago, with salty water. No other problems resulted, but I *have* feared "down the line" problems.

What would be involved in replacing this cable? Dare I tug on it in hopes of freeing it? I use it regularly, so it would be strange if it the problem was it freezing in place (like an unused parking brake).

thanks.

Reply to
Scott