99 Toyota Camry Coolant Question

Hi guys, I just had the New Radiator couple days ago and the coolant in the reservoir is 1/4 of the tank and it is green. I went to the auto store to purchase coolant. he gave me the yellow one which will mix with all models and all colors.Also he said i need to mix it with water.? is that true.? Can you guys let me know that i need to mix it with water before filling the Reservoir.? Appreciate your help Thanks

Reply to
Krishna1

Generally, coolant is diluted with water. Read the directions on the container to know how much to water to dilute it with. It is best to use distilled water (costs about 75 cents per gallon at a discount store).

Reply to
Mark A

The Prestone All-Makes comes either pre-mixed with 50% distilled water or full strength. Do use only distilled water with this if the label calls for it.

The "green coolant" is likely the traditional silicated coolant. Silicates are very effective against aluminum corrosion and fights pump cavitation damage. However, import water pumps use flimsy rubber o-ring seals that can't deal with silicates -- they will leak. US (and possibly European?) pumps use carbide seals and have no such problem. Therefore, you should use the Toyota Red or Pink coolant with your rubber seal pump.

The Red coolant is a 2yr/24K-miles type of coolant and is more effective against corrosion than the 5/150 Toyota Pink. The Toyota Pink uses only one of the GM Dexcool's two major ingredients and has no fast-acting 2-EHA acid. The main selling point is extended service, but when it comes to fighting corrosion it sucks.

The new Preston All-Makes I am not so sure, because it contains 2-EHA. I don't know how this will affect Toyota plastics because 2EHA is a plasticizer.

So your best bet is to find Toyota Red and distilled water, then Toyota Pink. The latter is pre-mixed but cost the same (so Toyota distilled water is about $30 per gallon). Dunno with Preston All- Makes, although I'm leaning towards trying it instead of using the Toyota Pink.

Reply to
johngdole