99 Toyota Camry - Low Beams don't work

I have a 99 Camry. Last night, I started the vehicle and found that *both* low beams were not working. The high beams worked fine and all the running lights worked. The low beams didn't work regardless of the setting on the manual switch or the 'twilight' switch. I can hear the relay inside the dash clicking when I turn the car on. I checked the bulbs and both headlight bulbs are fine. I checked all the fuses as well, and pulled and reset all the relays under the hood. Any thoughts as to why the low beams would suddenly stop working?

Thanks!

Reply to
dwendell

*both*

running

beams

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

How did you check the bulbs?

Incredibly same thing happened to me couple of weeks ago. Both headlights had been working and then both were out one evening. High beams and high beam flasher worked fine, otherwise complete darkness. (parking lamps were lit but didn't help to see anything) Pulled one bulb and it looked fine. I looked very closely against good lighting - no evidence of damage. Pulled the second bulb and the filament was clearly broken. Check the bulbs with an ohm meter before trouble shooting further. My "good" bulb showed infinite resistance. If both filaments show continuity, next place to check would be the headlight relay located in the fuse box under the hood. Fuse cover should be labeled with its location.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I checked both bulbs and they both seemed okay. Ultimately, what was the solution to your problem? Relay or Bulbs?

Reply to
dwendell

Once I have the meter, what am I looking for?

Reply to
dwendell

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Bulbs.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Continuity. If there's a fault in the filament that is too small to see, there will be infinite resistance, so you're looking for a reading that shows some reasonable amount of resistance - not an open circuit.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Don't let your fingers touch the glass, but here's an easy way to check: just run some wires from the battery directly to the bulbs then touch briefly to see if they light up.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus