99 V6, 120k miles-what to look for?

I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry V6 with 120k miles.

The body isn't perfect, just OK.

I drove it today, drives perfectly. Wow, power! The seller has replaced the rear suspension bushings. He has no problem if I take the car to my mechanic for a check-up.

What in particular should I have him look for?

Thanks. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Check maintenance records with the dealer (they can pull up VIN if serviced by a dealer) - regular oil changes (sludging problem!)?, new timing belt?, struts replaced?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Two of the most important checks, you can do yourself in a couple of seconds,..provided the car is cold.

  1. Remove oil-filler cap. Insert a finger into the cam-cover and scrape around *under* the cam-cover. If the engine has had poor oil-change maintenance, there will be a thick layer of black goop/sludge on your pinky,..if its only slightly black and thin, its probably worth the risk.
  2. Remove radiator cap. Do the same thing here ie feel around under the top-rad-tank. If there's even a moderate layer of rusty coloured deposit,..the cooling system has been neglected.

One of the tricks 2nd hand car sellers do is to top up the radiator with green coolant and change the engine oil,..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

For 97-2001 camry, these are some of the things that you need to be aware of

- sludging problem in crank case

- suspension problem. drive it slowly and usually, you will hear a clunking sound.

- check vin as other poster said.

------------------------ Golf Deals, Golf Product reviews and more

skewe