See if clutch is binding or the clutch magnet is bad.

From: Father Guido - view profile Date: Sat, Aug 19 2006 7:02 pm Email: Father Guido Groups: alt.autos.toyota.camry

~> >

Hi, I'm not sure who originally posted the above link, but the links to the files/sections hosted in Germany for the Gen 4 Camry don't work

Any ideas on how to access those files?

Thanks,

Norm

Pszemol wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

So does it seems I do not have to remove the glove box ? The access is from underneath?

Reply to
Pszemol

The blower housing is behind the glove box in the console, so I doubt there is enough clearance to work without removing the glove box. The procedure does call for removing the glove box to get to the amplifier.

The signals there can tell you if the clutch is engaged or not, if the pressure switch is on or off, the resistance of the lock sensor coil, condenser fan turned on/off. Some control signals aren't described in the manual. Most of these can be measured without going to the amplifier, like at the connector near the compressor and at the pressure switch near the sight glass.

If the evaporator side is working (let's assume it is for now without doing other tests described by Haynes), the primary suspect is probably the clutch (wearing out from years of use and not carrying the load) or a worn out compressor generating a lot of resistance that the clutch slips and its rpm differs so much from the engine rpm that you get the AC light blinking.

Of course, if it's going to one of the two, hope it is the clutch assembly.

Pszemol wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Where do you find this procedure ? I have downloaded the manual and they do not say a word about it. Maybe you have different manual for my 95 camry?

Which are not described ? I am surprised, since there is full wiring diagram there and nothing is missing from what I can tell.

Yes, but I figured out it would be nice to hook up some test lights in the cabin and drive with the visible indicators for a while to make sure I have all connected when the a/c shuts off ?

Generally everything works... For the most of the time it works fine. From time to time - once per two days or so, it gets "crazy" and shuts off itself a lot, then it goes in the period everything is fine for another couple of days. I have no doubts it will not fix itself :-) So it can only be worse - one day it might fail totally, and I would like to be able to diagnose it before this happens.

Either one is something I would probably not do myself. Even for the clutch replacement they list whole compressor removal first. But it would be at least good to know what is going on... ;-)

Reply to
Pszemol

Here in the US we plug our guitars into amplifiers, I guess you mean what we here call an AC condensor coil.

Reply to
m Ransley

=========== Try this link and see the Air Conditioning section:

================================ (may also be helpful for Mark to see the difference between an air conditioning amplifier and a guitar amplifier) ;?)

Reply to
Daniel

No, I did not ment A/C condensor coil :-)

Here in USA we call amplifier a piece of electronics which is used to amplify weak signals from several sensors and prepare them to be used by the logic to control compressor operation... :-)

And this is the piece of electronics toyota calls "A/C Amplifier" also.

Check this toyota manual:

attention to pages AC-9, AC-10, AC-66... :-)

Reply to
Pszemol

There was no procedure to remove glove box or to get access to the amplifier in this manual... I have found the reference to the glove box removal in

page 108.

Reply to
Pszemol