a new power steering pump and rack

My 93 v6 camry has had a power steering leak for some time now. I keep fluid in it and I haven't really worried about it until I had an oil change recently and the mechanic said that I need to get the power steering pump and rack replaced. He has quoted me $450 for the maintenence. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money at the moment. I asked him what I can do until I can afford the fix- he said simply to keep an eye on the fluid and come back as soon as possible.

As I said, I've been driving my car with this problem for some time now. My question is this: has any other system perhaps been damaged by this leak and the occasional low fluid? I've never had the power steering fail- the worst that's happened is a scrapy sound when I turn the wheel. Am I putting other parts of the engine at risk in delaying any further?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
lee.ellen.thornton

============ Power steering pump and rack are independent of other systems. They have no effect on engine operation other than the power required from the engine to turn the pump. The worst, most expensive thing you could do with the power steering would be to have to replace the pump and rack, so if you're looking at that now, there's no additional risk apart from having the steering system malfunction to the point safety is affected. You should see about having another mechanic clean the old oil and check to see where the leak is originating. Could be you only need a hydraulic hose replaced, or the power steering pump or the steering rack but perhaps not both. The rack is the most expensive part. This assumes that by keeping fluid levels up, the steering still operates correctly. If anything happens to prevent you from steering the car properly you need to park it or fix it, but a slow leak where you replenish the fluid regularly would be of concern only when something regarding the effectiveness of the steering changes or you get tired of the oil mess.

Reply to
Daniel

The PS pump, and rack and pinion are the power steering system. It is separate from the engine and trans. A TN search will find more posts on leaking PS system.

Reply to
toyomoho

I suggest an Electronic Wheel Allignment everytime you play with the rack and pinions.

Reply to
EdV

Check the PS fluid reservoir daily, and keep it full! (Well, to the FULL mark, anyway! Filling more than that will cause excess pressure on the system!)

I drove a Celica for 30,000 miles with a leaky PS pump/High Pressure hose. The only thing you need to worry about is if the pump has been run dry, the system will have to be bled, and this places undue pressure on the rack system. The worst outcome from this is bad inner tie rod ends, which is a DANGEROUS situation.

If your mechanic is trustworthy and didn't say the tie rod ends were damaged, then just keep the reservoir full. If you need to fill it more than once a week, then think about changing the system.

Reply to
Hachiroku