AC Drain pipe

Hi

I recently had water draining into the driver's side carpets during rains. The dealer diagnosed it as AC Drain pipe clog and charged me about $200 for the work.

I have hardly used the AC in the past 6-7 months (winter) and I noticed this problem only when it rained. Does water drain thru the AC Drain pipe even if the AC is not used? How is it related to rains?

More importantly where is the ac drain pipe located and can I do anything to prevent it from getting clogged. Also is this something that can be done at home?

Thanks K

Reply to
Karthik

Not sure if rainwater drains thru the ac hose or not. You could slide under the car and have someone pour water over the windshield area while watching the ac drain pipe. it is just a rubber hose under the passenger side of the car behind the motor..just run the ac on a hot day and you will see it drip. Not sure why this would cause it to be wet on the drivers side. You can carefully run something up in the hose to clean it.

Reply to
ROBMURR

the drain tube is approx 3" long , a pencil is used to clean out the occasional mud dobber nest, at worst you remove the rubber tube from the inside and shake it out. It takes longer to type this than it does to do it. Your dealer FORKED YOU over for $200 for nothing ,.,,,,you have been RIPPED OFF.

Reply to
Im Right

i had the same problem. the blockage in the drain tube caused water to short out the alarm system. i don't want to tell you how weird that was. finally i pulled the drain hose out on the p side of car and unplugged it with a pencil. a lot of water drained out. i reattached the tube and made sure it didn't drain into the passenger compartment and it has worked fine.

Reply to
humblejohn