AC Prob.

I have a 1991 Camry with 188000 mi. The AC working fine two days ago. Starting yesterday, AC still works but not as cold. If the Freon was leaked out it would not cool at all, right? How can it continue to cool but not as cool as before? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
HP

As it leaks it will cool less and less till no more.

Reply to
m Ransley

Do you think it is work repairing?

Reply to
HP

Work repairing or worth repairing, what isnt work, I just found someone with R12 and put in 2 lb, it could cost alot to repair, see if you can find someone to put in R12 for 50$or less, if not you must go to 134a. I would fill it and maybe try to find the leak but it may b cheaper to just add a can now and then.

Reply to
m Ransley

AC would still cool a little but not as much if there is less freon. Do you see bubbles in the receiver/dryer sight glass? If so that's probably it. Systems are considered "sealed" even if they leak 1/2 to 1 oz of freon per year.

If you see visible leaks along the metal freon lines to and from the compressor, then you have to think about whether or not the o-rings should be replaced. Otherwise new freon will leak out of there. O-ring conditions in aftermarket recharge kits may help if the o-ring is not in too bad of a shape.

Also check the operation of your AC condenser fan motor. Do this by turning the key to ON without starting the engine, then turn on the AC (only the blower motor will turn of course). Beware of moving parts! The condenser fan in the engine compartment should operate. You should also check drive belt tension. It's harder to check the belt tension if you don't have a gauge, but at least the belt that drives the compressor should not be loose. Typically you should have about 1/4" deflection at mid point, and on farther spaced pulleys 1/2". It could also be a problem with the compressor or the clutch slipping. But if you don't hear abnormal noises then they are probably OK.

I don't know if you can still find R12, but Interdynamics has a R12 ->

R134a retrofit kit. It's probably cheaper too.

But you still have to have the system properly discharged, pulled full vacuum for 30 minutes, and then recharge with the kit without introducing any air (air forms a combustable mixture with R134a).

If the only problem is lost freon and all other parts are in acceptable condition then buy the kit ($60) and have a shop pull vacuum for you. You then fill it with the retrofit kit. My guess is no more than $100?

Check out the how-to guide on the Interdynamics web site

HP wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

That link's out of date. Try:

Takes a while to load.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks to all. Today, it seems to be working properly. Go figure. If it has a problem again I will let you know. Thanks.

Reply to
HP