AC vent blowing chunks

The right passenger side AC vent in my 99 Camry started blowing out bits of black, very sticky foam-like material whenever the AC is on. They go all over the car, in my eyes, etc. I also saw a piece of the stuff about the size of a matchbook in behind the louvers of the vent. Even before the chunks started, the vent would whistle whenever it was closed with the AC running. I have the louvers pointed down & to the right to keep the chunks out of my eyes, but it's getting the door and seat all sticky. Any ideas what this is & how I can fix it? Is there a replacement part I need to get?

Reply to
redpenner

That's the foam insulation between the various duct components degrading. Eventually all the loose pieces will blow out. I'd just wait it out. You could disassemble the duct work and replace the foam, but that's more work than I'd want to do on an 18 year old car.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Math never was one of my strong points .

Now I wonder why the foam is degrading after such a short time. Here in the Florida heat that problem doesn't usually show up for about 10 years.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I've never replaced any of mine (3 Toyotas over 15 years) and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

My 97 does this just from the windshield defrost vents. I turn it on low to avoid that, looks like a major pain to fix it.

Reply to
Rob

Sometimes, if the vent controls have been left unadjusted for a long time, the foam seals sorta stick and tear-off once the vents are changed position.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Wow, I thought I was the only one (not). I have had a 97 that did the same thing, now I have a 2000 and it's doing it too. It is most definitely a weather related issue. I have only one issue with it at all. Mine losing the foam, started a high pitched whistle on the drivers side (by the door) dash vent. The other side is not making the whistling noise. I plan on pulling just the one vent off and replacing the foam with something from Home Depot or something.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB