Accelerator Pedal Replacement

2008 Avalon---Went through the whole throttle system recall in bit March. One thing I noticed right away was that the force required to push on (and hold) the accelerator pedal increased noticeably in the 65-80 mph speed range. Found on a couple of subsequent long trips (more than a 1000 miles) that holding the pedal in place at these speeds actually began to bother my foot. Walked into the Dealer, explained that I wasn't comfortable with the "fix"......no hesitation on their part (do you want to have a new one installed?)...got the new pedal this morning. Service manager indicated that the "fix" is now built into the current pedals. I hope that the "improved" design is not a repeat of the field fix. Any experience out there with the replacement pedals? MLD
Reply to
MLD

We got our 2007 done a few weeks ago. Note that there was never a problem with this car, that I could detect, but the dealership implemented the three recalls for this car.

The new pedal is very easy to use and there was no noticeable deterioration in the feel of the accelerator system.

BUT, a couple of weeks after the job, the auto trans starting doing some odd things. It would drop out of gear at very low speed, and then kick back in a little abruptly when I accelerated. Turns out that the auto trans computer lost its programming during the recall work, and they had to reprogram it.

Now all is fine.

Reply to
hls

The "fixed" pedals are crapshoot at best. And Toyota only give "new" pedals to those customers who ask for it. IMO the new one should be fine, because a lot of the problem with the fixed pedals were attributed to shoddy workmanship.

Reply to
john
********* We were given a new one, under the recall program. We didnt ask for it.

AFAIK, the problem was not shoddy workmanship, but rather a poor choice of materials....materials that permitted deterioration over time.

Those are my impressions anyway. I am not challenging your post as such.

Reply to
hls