Accord vs. Camry?

My 13-year old Camry needs $1000+ of work on it. I have decided to get rid of it and get a new car. I am torn between the a 2005 Accord LX and 2006 Camry LE w/side airbags. I can get a slightly better deal on the Camry ~ 17288. My wife also drives a '97 Camry. We have not liked the experience w/that one as much as the 92 Camry. I had more problems occur earlier in the 97 Camry - struts, power steering leaking at 80K, etc. Maybe it was built on a Friday... The Accord has a solid reputation also. The Camry is a bit larger, and much larger trunk. Has anyone had major problems with a

2003-2005 Camry? Is the quality/reliability up to par w/Honda?

Thanks Leor

Reply to
Leor Amikam

Go for the Honda. The Camry is not what you remember quality wise. At least the ones made in the US.

Reply to
Art

Does the '97 have a "J" or a 1 or 4 for the first digit in the VIN. If so, it was made in the USA. I am not a fan of Toys made in the USA.

You can get a Camry with a "J" still; you'll have to hunt.

Either car would be a good choice. I am a Toyota fan, but have owned an Accord made in Ohio. It was a good car!

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

The accord is a much better vehicle no questions. Its quality, reliability, and value are tops in its class continue to go virtually unmatched by other japanese auto maker.

Reply to
justinm930

Most gang members drive Hondas. Nuff said.

Reply to
Sharx35

Shove it up your arse, this is a Toyota ng.

Reply to
Sharx35

Yeah, heard about the problems with the newer Camrys. That's a shame. They used to have good reputation.

Honda cars are better in design with more complex structures and Toyota is focused on value so you'll get simpler cheaper components.

Honda was having a few problems with their emissions systems (shortlived converter) and Toyota with their suspension and steering system (wandering and pull to one side), poor mileage and transmission trying to decide which gear to shift into.

You should have less major problems with today's Honda but you'll save a few dollars with Toyota. If you keep the car for about 4 years then both are good deals.

Reply to
johngdole

Or Lexus.

Reply to
badgolferman

Oh, you mean, just like the Camry.

I've owned BOTH. At the SAME time. They are both equally as well made and reliable.

But at that time the Honda came to price. It was $3000 less than a Camry

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

Nah, those are those B16 (B18?) Civics. The Accord is more Joe WHite Guy.

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

Did you see what I said a couple months ago (or a few weeks, anyway...)

Have seen a bunch of Camrys with "J" vins that were made in Japan from 75% US parts! The only Japanese parts were the engine and tranny. Shipping shells over and stuffing the running gear in?

And I agree with you on the Camry quality, funny thing is, my Accord was built in Ohio, and except for some minor fit and finish errors (um, they WERE noticable) the car was flawless!

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

Go for the Camry. Accords made in the last couple of years are HIGHLY likely to get transmission problems at around 50K.

Reply to
John

Either car is fine. The Accords last year dipped a tad in Consumer Reports, but over all are every bit as reliable as a Camry. Which ever you choose it will be a good selection. I'm still driving my 16 year old Camry with over

240K miles >> My 13-year old Camry needs $1000+ of work on it. I have decided to
Reply to
ajocius

In my opinion, the problem with US Toyota is not that they are in the US but that they joint ventured with GM. Instead of GM learning how to build quality cars from Toyota, Toyota learned how to build crap from GM.

Reply to
Art

LOL! I believe this MAY be a problem!

Reply to
Vash the Stampede

There is a new Accord back frame design for 2006, and there is a new Camry Design for 2007, wait 1 more year and decide.

I have a 2005 Camry and I like it more than my Accord 2003 because of the trunk size!, I can carry more computers and 17" CRT monitors on the Camry, on the accord I was unable to put a 17" monitor within the manufacturers box. Unless you buy LCD instead of CRT you can get the accord.

Reply to
E Arredondo

"eveliors" wrote: > My 13-year old Camry needs $1000+ of work on it. I have > decided to get rid > of it and get a new car. > I am torn between the a 2005 Accord LX and 2006 Camry LE > w/side airbags. I > can get a slightly better deal on the Camry ~ 17288. > My wife also drives a '97 Camry. We have not liked the > experience w/that > one as much as the 92 Camry. I had more problems occur > earlier in the 97 > Camry - struts, power steering leaking at 80K, etc. Maybe it > was built on a > Friday... The Accord has a solid reputation also. The Camry > is a bit > larger, and much larger trunk. Has anyone had major problems > with a > 2003-2005 Camry? Is the quality/reliability up to par > w/Honda? > > Thanks > Leor

I?m very dissatisfied with Consumer Reports and with the 2005 Camry. Check of the Consumer Complaints section for both the 2005 (not 2006 cause it?s too new) Accord and Camry at

The Accord has 35 complaints and the Camry has 83. Consumer Reportssaid that the Camry had no problems with the transmission for the lastfew years. However, the NHTSA (link above) reports enormous problemswith them. I can confirm that they are true because I?ve experiencedall of them. All I can say is read all of them, take them to thedealers and ASK THEM about them. Then, rent any vehicle you areinterested in for at least a week before buying because cars today areso complex, it takes at least a week or more to find out if you aregoing to love it or HATE it! Very sincerely, tbober.

Reply to
tbober

the camry is a much better choice, i have a 2004 and it's my baby, the only thing i dont like is the steering,it's not the best, and for the accord they have bad transmission i had a 2001 and the tranny always had torubles and there was a major recall on honda civic and accord tranny not to long ago

Reply to
RALPHMECH