Advice for restoring 1988 model finish

Another question on newly- purchased 1988 Camry wagon. Its a dark blue, I assume it is clear-coated? It is not rusted, and I think after a good wash job will look fairly glossy....but not " like new" glossy. I have an electric car buffer. What can I get that will best restore the finish? I have heard of some clay product (don't know the name) that the professionals use....cost and arm and a leg....but if it works wonders on an old finish is worth it. THe car has been in the sun a lot & not garaged, so the clear coat probably is going to start turning white soon if nothing is done.

Reply to
geronimo

Congratulations on the purchase. Clay bar is not expensive. I think Clay Magic is the original - apx. $20. If you slide a plastic baggie across a clear coat surface you will discover it is not as smooth as it looks. The clay bar picks up impurities from the surface of the paint or clear coat and is a good preparatory step prior to applying a wax or protectant.

Reply to
Daniel

If this is the same blue as on my '88 Supra, it is a BIOTCH!!! It will show swirl marks with most surface restorers. One of my favorites is 3M Fill 'n Glaze, a discontinued product that you may find at some parts stores or auto body supply stores, about $17 a bottle. NOT recommended that you use the buffer!!! It will leave swirl marks. It will be a chore, but use a wet cloth and rub gently. It will bring back a lot of lustre.

If you can't find it, use the 3M replacement.

Other than that, Ardex makes a buffing compound that you can use with the electric buffer. It is for black cars, but if you have the same color as my Supra, this is what you want. You'll have to look around to find an Ardex dealer, and I think it's only sold in gallons. You may get the dealer to give you a sample (for $6-7...)

Depending on where you live (NY, NE, CT) you could go to a LIA dealership and talk to someone in the Recon shop. They may hook you up. This color can be tricky; I'm a professional and wound up with swirl marks on my Supra! Be careful and Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Didn't want to suggest this to you at first, because it runs around $100 for their kit, but Zaino Bros. make some terrific products that ought to have the paint gleaming like new if it is not physically damaged.

Daniel

Didn't want to suggest this to you at first, because it runs around $100 for their kit, but Zaino Bros. make some terrific products that ought to have the paint gleaming like new if it is not physically damaged.

BTW, the kit includes a clay bar.

Reply to
Daniel