Advice on fitting a GPS receiver on dash of 2004 Camry

I am planning to install a custom GPS system (Pocket PC + bluetooth GPS receiver) into my 2004 Camry LE. As such, I want to install the GPS receiver (a golf ball size blob) on the dash, at the driver's side near the corner of the windshield (reception is just fine there). The only attachment it needs is a 12v power cord that I would like to hide as much as possible. I notice that there are two 3/4" plastic plugs in the dash in that area, possibly for fixtures for higher specced Camrys (headlight auto dimmer?). I would like to run the power cord down thru one of these, thru the dash, and down to behind the cigarette lighter where I would wire it permanently into the lighter circuit. Does anyone know if this is possible, and wise? Would this affect the Toyota warranty? Is there a better option?

Reply to
Rick

Using the lighter-fuse is not going to provide proper over-current protection. The lighter fuse is too large in terms of amps unless you install an in-line fuse with a more oppropriate rating (circa less than an amp). In-line fuse-holders come with glass fuse holders or spade.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I have a Garmin Quest that 'had' a good suction cup, till the summer heat began heating up, then the damn thing kept popping off the windshield. I took one screw and mounted in to the left of the clock, right in front of the hour and minute buttons. Then I tucked the wire around the trim between the center dash top to the center dash bottom and plugged it into the 12 v adapter. Works fine for me, I'm very happy with the way it worked out.

Reply to
The Real Picard