After 60K tune up, my engine misses, doesn't always fire

I had my 60K tuneup and the dealer put in new platinum plugs. Immediately after leaving the service department, I was sitting at a traffic light with my foot on the brake when I felt a slight bump. I noticed that it recurred every 15 to 30 seconds and that the tachometer would take a little dip each time I felt the small movement in the car. At higher speeds I can feel the engine "miss" when I accelerate. I recently pulled a pop-sup for 1000 miles and the situation was awful. The dealer told me that they could not replicate this and therefore, they couldn't help me. The service manage said that the on-board computer would register each time an engine misfired, and since he could find not error messages, there was nothing he could do.

I suspect that there is some kind of wiring issue where the mechanic either failed to properly reconnect all of the wiring (which is extensive) or that there is a short or an open in one of the wires. Can anyone help me on this issue? Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Yeargain

First of all, it might help if we know what vehicle you're talking about. Usually people won't take you seriously and think you're trolling if you don't specify that in your post. Year and model, engine, etc.

Try replacing the plug wires with new ones. It's relatively cheap compared to having mechanic track things down and might solve the problem. If not, then hey at least you've got new plug wires.

Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Also, there's numerous reasons why an engine would miss, and they're the same for most vehicles. Improper plug gap. Bad plug wires. Problems with the fuel system and vacuum lines. etc. If your dealer can't reproduce the problem, then maybe you should get a Haynes or Chilton's manual and go through their list of possibilities, checking things on your own. Even if you have it serviced by the dealer, having a manual can be handy. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Yet another service blunder, not taking responsibility!

Reply to
NewsGrpUser

One or more of the plug wires may have been damaged in removing them to change the plugs. Try checking under the hood in the dark. Look for any arcing along the plug wires. Take a spray bottle with water and mist the plug wires. That will sometimes help reveal a problem. Plug wires will usually go past 60K but at this point they may be due. The fact that it happened right after a plug change makes the wires suspect. Like Pookerz said, even if you change the wires and don't fix the problem, at least you will have new wires and you would have had to do them soon anyway. FWIW DFB

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Chuck, obviously your time is worth nothing and you did not factor in operating overhead expenses.

Reply to
Philip®