Aftermarket radio and clock wired straight to battery?

I have a 1989 Camry with an after market stereo. I purchased it this way and have realized that the radio works without the key and the clock never shuts off. Well, now it is running down my battery and I just bought a brand new one. I looked in my manual and there is a fuse for the clock but it is for about 9 other things. I don?t know how to tackle this problem.

Reply to
tkenyon

This actually shouldn't run down the battery very quickly, but you never know.

You'll have to pull the radio bezel to get a look at the wiring. Hopefully the person that installed the radio didn't just hack the harness (but I'll bet he did...).

Can you read a meter? This is going to be a fairly detailed process, and I'm tired today, so if you can't use a VOM then I won't bother.

The QUICK solution is to check with Crutchfield, Radio Shack or a GOOD local car stereo store and see if they have a replacement harness for your car. They are wired with the same colors as original and wire right up to the cut wires...just match the colors. Then, you can get another harness at Wal*Mart (hope that's not a dirty word...) that will plug into THAT and wire up the aftermarket radio PROPERLY just by matching colors again.

Let me know...

For now, I would look for the RADIO fuse under the hood and try pulling it to see what happens. That's the one under the hood, not in the fuse block in the car.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
parklights