Aftermarket remote central locking

Hi Guys, I have a 97 Vienta Touring and the previous owner had lost the remote for the central locking. I spoke to Toyota about what it would cost to fix and was quoted $800 for a replacement CIR unit and 2 new remotes and basically told that I was better off getting an aftermarket unit. This car also has an "Integrated Security System" from factory but I am not exactly sure what that includes other than an alarm, anyone know if it has an immobiliser or how good the system is.

So my questions are,

1) What is the Integrated Security System? 2) What aftermarket remote central locking kit should I be looking at, or should I be looking at an alarm system and using its remotes? What do they cost? 3) Is this a job I am likely to be able to do myself or should I go to an auto electrician if it involves messing around with the security system?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I am in Brisbane, Australia if anyone has any recommendations on where to get stuff done.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
Robert McMillan

Hi Robert, My uncle has a 1998 Camry LE and he to lost both of his remotes. He took it to Toyota and he was able to buy new remotes and have them re-programmed for the car. He could still use the stock unit and didn't have to re-install a new central lock/security system for the car. He had to pay 80 dollars a FOB, but its a far cry from $800. He lives in Halifax Nova Scotia Canada, but I would assume that Toyota systems were the same internationally. But you know what they say about assuming...

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

Thanks for that info, I will try ringing up some more dealerships and see if any of them are able to pull the code off the existing system to program some new remotes. Robert

Reply to
Robert McMillan

If you go to the best quality locksmith in your town you will find they can do it and at a price way lower than any "dollarship"

Reply to
mikewestvale

So what you are saying is that any good locksmiths should be able to program up a new remote by pulling the codes off the reciever. I guess I figured only Toyota themselves would have access to the codes and blank transmitters. I will definately give this a try and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the help. Robert

Reply to
Robert McMillan

I had them cut my ignition keys at about 50 bucks less than a dealer. Also the dealer told me they couldn't cut them anyhow because their computer refuses to do more than three copies but they would be happy to reprogram my whole computer for the measly some of $800. It was at that point I figured these people are no better than scam artists. The locksmith had a great laugh over the whole affair. And believe me I do my level best to send a lot of people away from this" stealership."

Reply to
mikewestvale

I spoke to a different dealership and they are quoting me $300 for a Central Integrated Relay? (CIR) unit which includes 2 new remotes, and then ~$200 labour to install it. I have to wonder if it is as simple as unplugging the old unit, plugging in the new one and then it will just work or if they have to do some sort of initialization on the new one.

On the other hand the auto electritions are quoting me $200 to supply and fit a remote central locking kit, or $300 to supply and fit a full alarm system which will include remote central locking.

Reply to
Robert McMillan