air conditioning problem on camry

Hi, My air conditioning on my 1991 Camry doesn't seem to be as efficient as it once was. The compressor still kicks in fine when i push the a/c button, but, right now, the temperature diffence between the fan/vent and the air conditioning selection seems to be about the same. There are no other heating/cooling problems with the car. I've had this car since the year

2000 and never had the AC serviced. Is this a coolant problem possibly? The car has 148,000 miles on it and i only put about 10,000 miles a year on it. I can't say if the previous owner ever had the AC looked at or not. Maybe i should also say that i live in Georgia, it's August and it's MIGHTY hot outside. Thanks in advance for all replies! CP
Reply to
curtiss pernice

How do i check for that? Is it the same as a service bulletin that i found on this page?

Thanks! CP

Reply to
curtiss pernice

Cloughed expansion valve! Check ALLDATA to see if there was a SSC (special service campaign) on that year's A/C. If so and it was never done they will replace the valve and refill with R12. I had a 90 4Rnr and a 93 Camry and both were covered FREE - $400 worth of work.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yes thats it --- looks like it doesn't apply to 91 --- ha but does tp 92 & 93!

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 1.. SSCP01 JUN 93 Campaign - A/C Expansion Valve

Reply to
Wolfgang

I don't think the expansion valve was a problem on 91s...that started with the 92s.

However, old "O" rings in your A/C lines may be the problem. They eventually split with age and allow the freon to escape. I had to have new ones put in and the A/C recharged after about 6 years in my car, and just recently had to have it done again (now it's been twelve years). R-12 is expensive, tho'...a system recharge and installation of new O rings cost me about $120 at my local shop. But my A/C is now so cold I could freeze ice in my car.

Reply to
Jess

I think you are right on the "O" ring problem. My 92 camry used to hold the freon for a summer; but now only a couple of weeks. My mechanic tried to fix the problem by changing the O rings (I don't think he used the correct O rings); but AC seemed getting worse since then. I will appreciate very much if you can let me know where you got your "O" rings. Thanks.

P. G.

Reply to
P. Gao