Air Filter Replacement on a 2002 camry SE V6 ?

Can anyone give me a step-by-step on changing my air filter? i think i know what to do but i do not want to ruin something in the electrics on the engine the book calls it something the dealer should do(and i think that is nuts) i want to blow it out like i always did at 10,000 miles

i know i have to pull the clip on the electrical conn,remove some small hoses, and the screws but do i have to do the air hose too?

any help would be great! there must be someone who has done this! thanks herb

Reply to
Herbnn

Herb,

Don't worry about all the hose and electrical connections. Grab yourself a 10mm socket and undo the 2 or 3 bolts, not in front of my car, and then tilt it up towards the center and slide it away. By the way make sure you replace your air filter with a K&N for the little extra boost of horsesies. Don't waste your money on the old paper style.

Tony

Reply to
Newsreader Tony

Herb,

Don't worry about all the hose and electrical connections. Grab yourself a 10mm socket and undo the 2 or 3 bolts, not in front of my car, and then tilt it up towards the center and slide it away. By the way make sure you replace your air filter with a K&N for the little extra boost of horsesies. Don't waste your money on the old paper style.

Tony hey, thanks for the tips ton i did not know 'bout the k&n stuff will look in to it ! and thanks again-i knew it couldn't be so tough-the dealer just wants to make a few more bucks herb

Reply to
Herbnn

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Herbnn being of bellicose mind posted:

Pass on the K/N. The extra horsepower or two that you get ONLY at full throttle is at the price of letting more dirt into your engine. Is that worth it?

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Herbnn being of bellicose mind posted:

Pass on the K/N. The extra horsepower or two that you get ONLY at full throttle is at the price of letting more dirt into your engine. Is that worth it?

no sir ! i looked in to it and am using all toyota parts on my baby thanks for the info

Reply to
Herbnn

No problem your loss.. I have been using K&N's for years and never had the problems. If you want to pay the same amount every 12 months for a paper filter then so be it. I think it is better for the environment and my pocket book.

Good luck Herb..

Reply to
Newsreader Tony

In news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Newsreader Tony being of bellicose mind posted:

To the contrary... the potential for "loss" (increased cylinder wear and oil contamination is yours if you fail to keep after that high maintenance air filter. Good luck to you, Herb.

Reply to
Philip®

Daniel M. Dreifus

thanks for the info.............but i still am not sure how to open the engine air filter cover do i take out all 4 bolts or 2 or 3? do i disconnect the hoses and electric clip? i tried taking out the 4 bolts and lifting the cover - but it did not come up very easily i am not going to let the dealer to this - it is something i have always done does everyone have a step-by-step on this and thanks again for the info- i am going with all toyota parts on this car herb

Reply to
Herbnn

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Herbnn being of bellicose mind posted:

"On all 6 cars, this (oil analysis) showed many times the amount of silica particles (airborne dust) in the oil than when a paper filter was used. This means that the K&N does not do as good of a job filtering the air, allowing more dirt into your engine. You may very well experience increased engine wear due to this, as your oil filter will not catch it all."

Reply to
Philip®